July Recap

July, also known as my birthday month, and as well as the month in which our nation celebrates its independence. If you’re anything like me, you’re trying to find ways to stay indoors because the 5 days in a row of triple digits with no pool or a break in the heat in sight is no bueno. I’ll stick with iced coffee and my air conditioning, thank you.




Despite being so busy this month, I managed to get through seven books, and I'm pretty proud of that!

Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey   3/5 🌟
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks*   3/5 🌟
The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury* 3/5 🌟
Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova 4/5 🌟
The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury* 3.5/ 5 🌟

The Crown’s Game was a quick and easy read. The premise was great, but I wasn’t as enthralled as I hoped I would be. Skye’s writing and world building is beautiful, as wells as her dedication to the time and Russian heritage, but I just didn’t feel much for the characters. I also found it to be predictable.

I’m pretty sure I’d read The Lucky One before this because it was very familiar to me, but I’m not 100%. It could be because I’ve seen the movie, but the movie isn’t exactly the same, but who knows. It’s a good campy romance novel like most Nicholas Sparks books. This one didn’t make me cry at least.

I fell 3 weeks behind on my Steotchalong (mentioned in June’s recap) due to life’s events mentioned below, but I did my damnedest to catch up, and made it! That was tough. It took a lot of sitting and a stiff neck, but I managed it. Tyrion has a neck and a full head of hair, a goatee, and a shirt!


Look at all that shiny metallic gold threat. It’s a pain in the butt to stitch with! Thread Heaven is a life saver when it comes to working with metallic thread. Also, I will never work with DMC metallic ever again and will only work with Kreinik braided metallics. They don’t fray like DMC and they’re much easier to anchor to the needle.

Sadly I haven’t touched my Hogwarts Crest *pout* I probably won’t be finished this year as I’d hoped. Too many other things going on. I haven’t touched my other secret project mentioned in other monthly recaps either. I guess it could be worse; I could have no projects or hobbies.

July was incredibly busy for me. I know I say this every month, but this month especially. It was my birthday the first week and I turned the big three-oh. Oh lordy… Don’t judge me for still reading loads of YA, it’s my favorite. My husband surprised me with a whole spa package and the above pictured totally awesome Harry Potter Quidditch set for my b-day. He totally gets me. My mom found my Top-10 Birthday Wishlist post and sent me a stack of books (also pictured above)! Overall I’d say I had an awesome 30th!


I went to my future sister-in-law’s bachelorette party weekend where we attended a Giant’s game and spent a day wine tasting in Sonoma.
While everyone else was at SDCC, my husband and I made our annual trek to the state fair. I know it’s pretty much the same every year, but I love it, and it’s a tradition now. By 10am, it was 85 deg, so naturally we started the day with milkshakes. I had Reece’s Peanut butter and my husband had Oreo. The day topped out at 104 deg! I didn’t win big at the horse races but we have a good time with family and trying not to melt. After the fair, I went to a Sacramento Rivercats game, where I also proceeded to melt.


HAS ANYONE ELSE DISCOVERED STRANGER THINGS?! I binge watched it in only 3 days. Holy man it was so good! I may re-watch it just because I couldn’t get enough! It was the first show in so long where all I wanted to do was sit and watch and do nothing else. Not play on my phone or even cross-stitch. Usually I have to be doing something while watching TV or a movie or I feel incredibly lazy or I get bored, but not with Stranger. It was just too good. If you haven’t watched yet, you totally should.

How was your July? Is it crazy hot where you are? Or are you lucky enough to live in a cooler climate?

CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. The Sin Eater's Daughter is on my good reads list, did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I thought some of the plot twists were easy to figure out but it was definitely an interesting story overall!

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid to start Stranger Things because I'm so busy with work right now and I know I will want to binge watch based on the reviews I've read and how obsessed everyone on Tumblr seems to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo good you probably will want to binge watch! If you know you have that mentality, it's probably smart of you to wait :)

      Delete

Back
to top